Reflex Hand Guards 1.0
- Mounts up to both standard bars AND Flexx Bars with now extra hardware
- Does not interfere with the with the Flexx Bars pivot point
- When crashing and slamming the guards pull right back to their normal position with no extra tools needed
- 100% Made in the USA, even the plastics!
- The clamping bolts for the cable are nearly impossible to get to with a normal allen wrench
- The instructions show the installer utilizing an "L" shaped allen which if included in the package would solve the bolt issue
What it is
- Solid mounted hand guard that is not so solid.
- Allows Flexx Bars to easily pivot.
- Racer developed and produced in the USA.
The Reflex Handguard 1.0 is a brand new spin on the solid mounted hand guard pioneered by Don Stanger hailing out of Boise, ID. Being a self proclaimed "garage inventor" Don spent the past few years developing the handguard system to solve several problems he found with other hardguards. He felt they were hard to mount up and when you crashed they were equally as hard to put back into position, especially while racing. In the process he also stumbled upon a great solution for riders utilizing Flexx Handlebars offering a set up that doesn't interfere with the "flex" aspect of the bars themselves while still offering maximum protection and durability.
The product is 100% made in the USA and Don is out at most of the local Southwestern Idaho Desert Racing Association series offering support to the racers.
How it works
- Quick mount up and great adjustability.
- Only 2 tools necessary - 4mm allen, 1/2" wrench.
- Mounts up to both Flexx and regular bars easily.
At a glance the guards just look like a nice beefy set of solid mounted handguards but upon closer inspection you'll find something very ingenious about the guards. There is a 3/4" braided steel cable in between the mounting hardware and the bark buster itself. The 3 inches of cable is clamped into the recessed guards with a set screw and you are able to adjust how wide or narrow the guards sit allowing for maximum adjustability for any width bars.
Don originally designed the guards while riding in the woods of Idaho after he would smash his guards into the trees and have to spend tons of time fixing the bent up mounting hardware. The bars do just that! When you take a hard straight-on hit the guards are solid as ever yet when you have a tumble and the guards bend down or up it is just a quick hit and the guards are right back into position!
At the same time, and what seems to be purely on accident, he also discovered one of the best ways I have ever seen to mount solid guards to flexx bars!
Mounting up wrap around guards of any kind has been quite the brain teaser for me. From Fasst Co's many different solutions ranging from the swiveling mount and the 2 piece "Kudla Connection" mount to Enduro Engineering's brand new multi-pin adjustable mounting they all have 1 weakness; they bolt through the Flexx bar's pivot point. This leads to to bent bolts and handguards that must wait till the end of an event before they can be adjusted or worse, guards that can interfere with the brake or clutch levers.
The Reflex guards completely skip past the bars pivot point, mount directly the the solid portion of the Flexx Bars and creates it's OWN pivot point that does not interfere with the bars.
There were some small issues. The allen bolts to tighten on the wire cable should be more accessible. Having access from the top or bottom would work fine. I can see why you wouldn't go with the front. With a standard 4mm it's impossible to get at in the mounted position. In the instructions it shows the installer using the "L" 4mm allen. I didn't have one of those in my tool box. Seems it's really the only way to get the cable holes, I feel it should be included.